Seiten

29 May 2012

a little bit of sewing

Remember my recent fabric haul, there are two more cotton prints that didn’t make it long. The daughter of a friend turned one last week, so I used the chance to knock out some cute little overall, following ottobre design 3/2011 pattern No. 3. I also used the opportunity to make my own bias tape for the first time. I used the fabric on the very right for it. I think you can glimpse one or two flowers of the print. There are a few tutorials online available (I like this one) and I really recommend reading them carefully and completly in advance and maybe even in between the process. I thought I had understood the principle and so I went to the sewing room and I’ve cut and sewed and marked and - ended up with grainline tape. Lucky for me, I realised this quickly and could still fix it. And right know I’m playing around with the thought of buying this gadget, seen over at my tutorial source. Self-made bias tape is much softer and nicer than the stiff, pre-folded one available. And you can get all the designs you love.
As the pattern is very straight forward for me the most challenging part was to sew on the bias tape, it is a bit wobbly but still wearable. I just need more training with this. But see for yourself:
In general, I’m always amazed how little fabric you need for a toddlers garment. I haven’t measured it but I think I got away with just half a meter for the main fabric. Now there is only to hope that the girl and the overall fit together nicely somewhere during summertime. Happy birthday little Hanna!
Thanks for stopping by,
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment